Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

If I have been on social services years as a carer can

Customer Question

if I have been on social services for 2 years as a carer can I access my super
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
In certain circumstances, individuals suffering financial hardship may be able to access a portion of their super benefits. Please note, however, that not all super funds permit early access to super benefits due to severe financial hardship. Your first step would be to check with your super fund regarding whether or not they permit benefit withdrawals for financial hardship.
You must then apply to your super fund to claim early access to your super benefits on the basis of severe financial hardship, and certain conditions must be satisfied for early access to super benefits. You can claim your super early based on severe financial hardship if you satisfy ONE of the following two scenarios:
1. Received government income support for 26 weeks, and cannot meet immediate expenses. Can access up to $10,000 in each 12-month period.
2. Have reached age 55 (current preservation age) and received government income support for 39 weeks.
The following links contain excellent information which you will find helpful:
http://www.moneyhelp.org.au/your-debt-options/early-access-to-superannuation/
http://www.superguide.com.au/accessing-superannuation/accessing-super-early/unemployed-and-in-financial-hardship
http://www.cbussuper.com.au/superannuation/when-can-i-access-my-super
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.Best regards,Barb