LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am going to be undergoing chemo treatments and I am not able

Customer Question

I am going to be undergoing chemo treatments and I am not able to work. Can I receive any benefits from social security or disability.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. What state do you work in?
2. Will your disability (inability to work) last longer than 1 year?
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work in the state of Arizona. Possibly.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
Thanks for the additional information.
In order to be eligible to claim social security disability benefits you must be disabled for at least 5 months and your disability must be expected to last at least one year, or more.
Social Security's definition of disability is as follows:
"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
• You cannot do work that you did before;
• Social Security decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
Here is a link where you can apply online for your benefit: http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/ Your benefit will be about the same as your full retirement age retirement benefit.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug