dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Just got health insurance but it does not cover one of my prescri

Customer Question

just got health insurance but it does not cover one of my prescriptions. They say the prescription is too expensive and want me to take another prescription. I have tried all the other prescriptions and they have not worked for me will social security help me pay for this prescription?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 1 year ago.
HII'm Anne, and I've been preparing taxes for 27 years. I will be helping you tonight. Yes, there is a program through SSA (Social Security Association) that does offer help to people who can not afford their medicine. Please see URL below: http://www.ssa.gov/medicare/prescriptionhelp/ Since not everybody meets the criteria that SSA requires, there are other ways to get help. You may call the company that manufactures the medicine you need. If you need help contacting the manufacturer, (or don't know who it is) you should check with your doctor to see what information he/she has on helping you to get your medication. The doctors used to have samples of the medication, although I know here in MI that program has been drastically cut. I have always found that my Dr, or someone at the small town pharmacy I go to ( they have wonderful resources, and they will often take the time to see if there are any programs that you might be eligible for) I have had to go through this recently myself. Not fun, but necessary. You might also check with your local Dep't of Social Services to see if you are eligible for any programs on the state level. If you have any questions, please postthem here and I'll be notified. If this has answered your question,please take the extra minute to rate positive ( by clicking on thesmiley faces or stars) so that I will be given credit for workingwith you today. It is only through positive ratingsthat we are compensated for our time and knowledge Thank you for choosing justanswer.