Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

First the dates. Husband born Sept 1954 wife born Jan 1956.

Customer Question

First the dates. Husband born Sept 1954 wife born Jan 1956. I reach full retirement at age 66, my wife at 66 and 4 months. Both worked entire life.
Question: I (husband) would like to file for SS at age 70 allowing it to increase 8% per year in order to receive a larger monthly check than at age 66....If my wife files for benefits at her FRA of 66+4months can I also file for SS under her benefits (I would be 68) and wait 2 years collecting under her benefits until I reach age 70 at which time I would then file for SS under my increased benefits and also have my wife file for benefits under my claim?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
"Question: I (husband) would like to file for SS at age 70 allowing it to increase 8% per year in order to receive a larger monthly check than at age 66....---- Excellent.
"If my wife files for benefits at her FRA of 66+4months can I also file for SS under her benefits (I would be 68) ------ Yes, but you must be sure to specify that you are filing ONLY a restricted application - ie restricted to SPOUSAL benefits only.
"and wait 2 years collecting under her benefits until I reach age 70 at which time I would then file for SS under my increased benefits ----- YES.
"and also have my wife file for benefits under my claim? ------- Your wife would only want to file under your record (i.e. spousal) if it were bigger than her own work record. Spousal is a max of 50% of the other person's PIA (not your increased benefit, but your Primary Insurance Amount). Is her own benefit so small that a spousal would be beneficial to her?
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!