Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband passed away 2 days ago at 73, I am 52 and I am on

Customer Question

My husband passed away 2 days ago at 73, I am 52 and I am on Disability. I receive $600.00 per month disability. My husband received $1000.00 per month Social Security. What will be my benefits now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I am so sorry for your loss! You will want to file for widow benefits based on you being over 50 and disabled. That will be about 71.5% of his benefit, or $710, which you can switch to since it is greater than your own benefit. However, because that is low, you may be qualified for SSI now as well, which will bring you up to over $750, and also get you Medicaid possibly. That Medicaid may ALSO be able to pay your premiums for your Medicare, so be sure to look into that extra help program.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!