Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I was married to my husband 15yrs. the first time & 11yrs.

Customer Question

I was married to my husband 15yrs. the first time & 11yrs. the last time. I was born in 1954 & him in 1955. I have paid in on my social security all my life & so has he. Would I be able to draw anything off my ex-husband?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
OK, I am assuming that your "husband" you mention marrying twice is also your ex husband having the work record you are interested in.
Yes, IF you are unmarried and if taking a spousal benefit (from his record) would exceed your own, you can collect on that starting at age 62, instead of taking your own amount. However, it is rare that a worker such as yourself would benefit more from a spousal amount than her own work record, because a spousal amount is between about 35% and 50% (max) of his primary insurance amount. Note, if you collect either spousal or your own prior to your full retirement age, your benefit will be permanently reduced due to taking more months starting at an early age.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!