LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 84 and my wife is 78 I receive my SS payment and my wife

Customer Question

I am 84 and my wife is 78
I receive my SS payment and my wife receives half of mine (hers was lower)
I read that it would be beneficial to change this arrangement now and we should receive full payments independently which would provide us with more money
Is this correct
Thank you
W H Vogel
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If the reason that your wife took a spouse benefit was because half of your was more than she would have been paid on her own account, then switching now may not result in her getting more money, with one exception.
If she did not apply for her spouse benefit until reaching her full retirement age of 65, and not any time before that, then her own benefit would have increased by the delayed retirement credits by about 30% between age 65 and age 70.
In that case, her own benefit now might be more than she is receiving as a spouse benefit. In order to make the change she will need to contact social security to make the switch, either by calling them at 1-***-***-****, or by going to your local social security field office and applying in person to make the change.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug