Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am a 60 year old woman divorced after 32 years of marriage.

Customer Question

I am a 60 year old woman divorced after 32 years of marriage. Most of that time not working outside the home. Is it true that I will be able to get my exes amount instead of mine, which is very small
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how do I find out appr. What that amount will be
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
Upon his death, if you are at least your OWN full retirement age, yes, you can collect his full benefit - as a 'divorced widow' benefit. If you are less than full retirement age, you will only be eligible to receive a discounted/reduced amount. I.e. at age 60, it would be about 71%.
However, prior to his death, you merely have the eligibility, once you turn 62, to collect a divorced "spouse" benefit. At that 'early' age, it would be about 35% of his primary insurance amount (PIA). If you wait til full retirement age to collect, it would be up to 50% of his PIA.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!