Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I draw disability social security and want to know if my wife

Customer Question

I draw disability social security and want to know if my wife is entitled to1/2 my benefits if we are separated and live apart.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
How old are you and how old is your wife?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 54 years old. My social security is due to disability while working. My wife is 53 years old. We are separated. She lives in California. I live in Oregon.
No, a spouse generally can not take a social security benefit unless she is disabled or of retirement age. If not disabled, she will have to wait until she is 66+ to take 50% as a spouse (if better than choosing her own work record benefit), or can take abut 35% of your amount if she is 62.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!