Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I filed security at age 62 - planned to retire -

Customer Question

I filed for social security at age 62 - planned to retire - offered job and relocated out of state for job - gross is $38,000 - I can't figure out what to do now - setting aside 50% of the gross of each paycheck in savings account - do I pay this back when I file my taxes or do they suspend my social security next year?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
How old are you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
62.5
Thank you.
OK, with regard to your post:
"I filed for social security at age 62 - planned to retire - offered job and relocated out of state for job - gross is $38,000 - I can't figure out what to do now - setting aside 50% of the gross of each paycheck in savings account - do I pay this back when I file my taxes or do they suspend my social security next year? ------- They will suspend until you pay back that debt. But better yet, why don't you notify them that you are working, so they stop paying you, so you have less to pay back. Also, it would be nice to now avoid that steep reduction in benefit you gave yourself by taking early before you knew you had a job lined up. Because you are in your first year of collecting, you can Withdraw your application if you want to, pay back all the moneys, and it will be like you never filed. This is a one time thing. Then, if you can hold off til 70, your benefit will be about 80% HIGHER than if you took at 62.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!