LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband was on disability ssi.he passed away and social

Customer Question

my husband was on disability ssi.he passed away and social security told me at age 60 I might get widows benefits? I turn 60 in October. how much would I be able to receive?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
By taking your survivor benefits before you reach full retirement age you will not get 100% of the amount that your husband was receiving as disability when he died, but rather a reduced amount based on you taking the benefit early.
You will be eligible for a survivor benefit at age 60, and you will receive 71.5% of the amount of benefits that your husband was collecting monthly at the time of his death. If you wait until age 66, you will be eligible to collect 100% of the amount of benefits that your husband was collecting monthly at the time of his death.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug