Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have been receiving Social Security Disability benefits since

Customer Question

I have been receiving Social Security Disability benefits since 1994 and continue to be disabled. Recently I turned 65 years old. Does this change my benefits status, and in what way?
Thank you for your attention.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
With regard to your post:
"I have been receiving Social Security Disability benefits since 1994 and continue to be disabled. Recently I turned 65 years old. Does this change my benefits status, and in what way? ------- No, not at all. You will remain a recipient of SSDIB until you are of FULL retirement age, which is 66+ . At that time you will be automatically converted to SS Retirement and no longer be receiving SSDIB.
Note, however, that at 65 you must make sure you are collecting Medicare, unless you fit an exception as to why not.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!