LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I turn 66 in November, do I have to worry about how much I

Customer Question

I turn 66 in November, do I have to worry about how much I earn up to November or need I worry at all?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Fortunately, in the year that you turn full retirement age, there is a different maximum of income you may earn before any offsetting penalty will be applied to your early retirement benefit. Let me explain.
In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a much higher limit than that applied to previous years. In 2015, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.
SO, unless you will earn more than $41,880 before your birthday month this November, then you don't need to worry about earning too much and having social security seek an overpayment from you.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug