LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was first married in 1971 and divorced in 1981, 21 days short

Customer Question

I was first married in 1971 and divorced in 1981, 21 days short of 10 years. I remarried to another woman in 1979, who I devorced in1985. I currently am unmarried and are 74 years old.
Recently my first spouse, who was receiving SSI and was age 63, died. As a widower and surviving spouse, do I recieve any of her SS? Bill
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Bill,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
If you divorced the wives you married before they died you can neither be a widower or a surviving spouse. I think that there is some confusion over how you are classified and what benefit you may or may not qualify for.
1. When you say the first marriage was 21 days short of 10 years, are you sure? Was the entry of the divorce decree before or after the 10 year anniversary of the marriage?
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug