LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I just loss my husband, how do I go about filing on his social

Customer Question

I just loss my husband, how do I go about filing on his social security account.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If you are at least 60 years of age, you are eligible to file a claim for a social security survivor benefit. Unfortunately, you cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.
Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies.
In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.
If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.
If you cannot reach social security on the phone, it will probably be easier if you go to your local social security office. There are a number of documents and information that you will need to make your claim. Here is a list of what you will need:
Proof of the spouse's death;
Your Birth certificate or other proof of your birth;
Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
Your Marriage certificate.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug