How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4444
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am years old and have been collecting Social Security

Customer Question

I am 69 years old and have been collecting Social Security since age 62 and I currently receive $1,779 per month (before Medicare and Rx deductions). My wife will be 69 years old in August 2015 and plans to work as a teacher one more year and retire at age 70. Social Security has sent her a statement on May 4, 2015, with an estimate of $1,782 per month benefit at the present time (age 68) and $2,034 at age 70. Question: can my wife file and begin to now collect a spousal benefit for 50% of her Social Security retirement benefit as she is past age 66? Can she collect this amount even though she continues to work another year until Aug 2016 after her 70th birthday? When she retires at that time, can she then collect her full Social Security benefit estimated at $2,034 per month and give up the lower spousal benefit with no penalties or deductions from any future payments and my Social Security (the husband) will be totally unaffected by all of this. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist. Her spousal benefit, if she chooses to claim one, would be 50% of your benefit, not hers. claiming that benefit would not impact her benefit at age 70 based on her work history. It would not reduce your benefit with any penalties or deductions.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
She does not get to claim on her work record other than claiming her benefit. Once she claims, you could claim a spousal benefit if that would be higher than the benefit you collect. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer