PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I am 84 , retired and receive SS (took it at age 62). My wife(age

Customer Question

I am 84 , retired and receive SS (took it at age 62). My wife(age 81) died in Feb 2015, she took social security at age 62. Am I eligible for survivors benefits as well as the $1345.00 I get from social security now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist. Survivor benefits are based on your spouse's work history. You can switch, but it only makes sense if the survivor benefit would be larger than your own. You don't get both. The best way to see if your spousal benefit is larger is to go to your SSA office and ask for a comparison of benefits. You can't apply online. 1-***-***-**** is the phone number to call and set an appointment at your local SSA office. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomerl