LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

This morning a woman by the name of Shantel White from the

Customer Question

This morning a woman by the name of Shantel White from the Social Security Admin.
in Washington DC told me that I will be receiving an additional $495.00 every month
beginning Aug. 1st and my husband will receive $425.00 per month. I asked why we
qualified and she said that because we are over 65 we will receive it. I then said there
are a lot of people over 65 and she said that this cannot be done for everyone all
at once. She asked for our S.S. numbers and date of birth and also wanted to know our
parents' first and last names. Also, what is the amount of S.S. we are now receiving.
She gave me the number(###) ###-####and ask for ext. 458. I called this number and I did get her. However, I still think this may be a scam. Can you research this? Thank you
very much. Please email me at***@******.*** or call me at(###) ###-####
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
You are absolutely being scammed. First of all, 509 area code is a Washington state area code, and not a DC area code.
Secondly, social security has no program to pay you an additional $425 per month for any reason whatsoever. I do hope that you did not provide your social security number and other identifying information. If you did, you need to take immediate action to freeze your credit so that the person cannot assume your identity and seek credit under your name---which almost certainly was the intent all along.
Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score, alert creditors to a possible fraud using your name, or for any other reason:
Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or(###) ###-####(fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374; www.equifax.com
Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013, www.experian.com.
TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or(###) ###-####(fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022; www.transunion.com.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug