LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 68years old- I applied after I began taking

Customer Question

I am 68years old- I applied for disability after I began taking ss payments for early retirement at 62- I was granted the total disability and it did not change my payment by much and they explained it was because I had already been receiving early benefits- that is not the question - just the background. On my Benefits Planning Query under Medical review it states bot next medical review and re-exam as unknown- I need that box to say 5 to 7 years to use for petitioning student loan balances to be forgiven- how do I go about getting social security to change that?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
As you are no longer on disability, there is no possible way for social security to amend the Benefits Planning Query to show that you are scheduled for a re-exam or a review of your medical status. Let me explain.
The reason that the review/re-exam date was unknown was because you likely never would have been on disability long enough to require a review, much less a re-exam. This is because your social security disability benefits automatically converted back to your retirement benefit at your full retirement age of 66.
You would not have noticed any appreciable difference in your monthly benefit payment, but I assure you, you are no longer on social security disability and have not been for more than 2 years.
It is not absolutely necessary that you be receiving social security disabiloity though to have your loans forgiven. Let me explain.
It is correct that your student loan can be discharged if you meet the following conditions:
1. You become totally or permanently disabled at some point in time at a date after your student loan was granted, and
2. Your physician can certify that you are permanently disabled and that you meet some other requirements during a three-year conditional discharge period.
Here is a link to a discussion of the qualification process involving your physician: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/disability-discharge
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug