LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

How can I get my husbands social security #? He is on retirement

Customer Question

How can I get my husbands social security #? He is on retirement pension from USA Air Force. I am Canadian and living in BC since Full separation about 3 yrs. ago. Were married March 7/77 in Canada. He is in Kahului Maui. near Wailuku office were he was born. I was told I am entitled to half his pension . I have our marriage licence but not SIN. I am also on retirement income from disability income prior to 65. Can you help he doesn't even have rent to pay.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
There are a number of ways you can find the number. I am certain that one of these methods will work for you to recover your social security number.
1. Look on your last year's tax return that you filed together--state or federal and it will be there.
2. Contact your any bank where you had a joint account because every bank account you have has your social security number attached to it.
3. Every credit card you have had an application and that application needed your social security card so that you could apply for credit.
4. If you rent an apartment or home, chances are good that you provided a written document to the landlord before you rented with your social security number so that they could run a credit check on you.
5. Alternatively, there is really no reason form him not to give you his number. His claim is not effected by you making a claim. He will get no less money as his monthly benefit, because your claim is entirely separate from his.
Finally, you can call social security and ask them to look up his number as you have all the information about him other than the number itself. Contact the social security office for your region. Here is a link to the phone numbers and addresses of the respective social security offices handling Canada:
http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/canada.htm
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug