ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My ex-husband of 16 years married died several years ago. I

Customer Question

My ex-husband of 16 years married died several years ago. I was told when I turned 60 if I was not married I would receive benefits. He did not remarry. If I can apply for benefits where do I go,what paperwork do I need, and what do I tell them I am applying for? I turn 60 in November.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Whether he remarried or not does not matter. What matters is the for you to collect based on his benefits you have to apply as early as age 60. You'll need to bring your marriage and divorce certificate as well as some ID. You can go to any local SS office (if you need an address I can get it for you). Understand that what you will be receiving will be substantially reduced because of your applying at age 60 as opposed to FRA (full retirement age). Also know that this reduction percentage will remain with you for the rest of your life no matter whose benefits you receive. ..If you would prefer a telephone discussion please let me know and I will arrange it. Go there three months early (About the start of August).