Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I live in Canada and am a Canadian citizen. I am married to

Customer Question

I live in Canada and am a Canadian citizen. I am married to an American who is 74 years old and a landed immigrant here in Ontario. He receives Social Security Retirement benefits, and I was told I need to get a Social Security Card in my name in order to receive any benefits from his social security should he pass away. Since we are both senior citizens and not in good health, we are quite fearful to travel to the Detroit, MI office which is located in the heart of downtown Detroit. Is it possible for me to apply at another office, i.e., Port Huron, MI, or can I complete my application for a social security card on line and fax the original documents to the social security office.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
Note that you MAY be able to get benefits as his living spouse, (not just as a survivor) so don't delay in taking this further. I understand your hesitancy to go to Detroit, and that should NOT be necessary.You should be able to apply at ANY office. You can also try ssa.gov, click on "benefits" and try to apply, but given your location and situation, that may not be possible. Also, often people go to their US embassy or consulate, whichever one is handling SS in that country. This webpage gives you many of your options, so I would start here:
http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!
Hello again. It is month end - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:
1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR
2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.
If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!
Sincerely,
Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional