ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I was married over 15 years and got divorced and then me ex

Customer Question

I was married over 15 years and got divorced and then me ex and my 3 kids received money from social security. I know my kids and ex received lump sums and I am not sure if my ex gets monthly payments.
My question is, when my ex retires...do I receive money from social security from her? I don't understand why she would get money in the first place with my being disabled and getting ssi. Like she is gaining from me being handicapped. Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I have been helping clients with SS issues for decades. many times providing advice that reversed what they had been told by SS.
Unfortunately at retirement you will not be receiving SS money from her
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I'll offer you a telephone discussion to explain in greater detail. All you have to do is accept and I can share my number in a confidential box that only you can see. Otherwise we can text back and forth.
I'll send the offer now.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Every situation is unique. I am not quite sure why SHE would get anything regarding your disability as you are still alive. There are some weird rules if you were on disability and died (depending on her age).
I assume she is the payee ion behalf of the minor children but that money is for them, not her. She has to account for it.