LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am divorced. I was married to my former husband yrs.

Customer Question

I am divorced. I was married to my former husband for 37 yrs. Is it possible for me to receive one half of his social security if it is greater than the amount I receive from mine?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
If you are not presently remarried, and you were married for more than 10 years to your ex, then you would be eligible for an ex-spouse retirement benefit if that benefit would be higher than the one you receive on your own lifetime earnings.
50% is the most you can receive, but it can be less if you were under full retirement age when you first applied for your own benefit, or if you haven't applied for any benefit yet, and you apply for the ex-spouse benefit before age 66---the benefit will be less than the full 50%.
If you will tell me if you collect social security now, and if so what age you began to collect it and how old you are now, I can estimate the percentage of the ex-spouse benefit you will qualify for.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug