ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I am a 64 y.o. female, divorced over 10 yrs. & unmarried.

Customer Question

i am a 64 y.o. female, divorced over 10 yrs. & unmarried. i plan to wait until age 70 to collect my social security as i wish to continue working full time till 70. At my full retirement age (66) i understand i can collect half of my ex-spouse's social security under the apply & suspend rule, while my social security continues to grow until 70.
The one question i have is this: Is there any stipulation, stating i cannot do this, if I earned more money than my ex-spouse which would mean his social security would be less than mine? In everything i have read, all the articles 'assume' that the ex-spouse is the male, and the male is the one with the higher income. This may not be the case for me.
Please advise if i am still elligible to collect my ex-spouse 's social security at 66 (full retirement age) while mine continues to grow to age 70, even though my social security would be the higher of the two? Thank you in advance! Christine M., N.J.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
lol You're up late. I'm in NJ as well.
yes. you can do this. might be silly though.
I'll offer you a call. not the JA 18 average but 5 - a night owl special. Just accept or we can text bask and forth.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
it's complicated and if you mess up it's forever.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I'm off to bed in 4 minutes.. The offer expires then