ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I was married to a person from 1954 until 1966, 4 children

Customer Question

I was married to a person from 1954 until 1966, 4 children were born to this union, he died
6/16 2015, Am I entitled to a portion of his social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Yes. There are some exceptions but as long a you were married or 10 years you can collect the higher of his SS or Yours.
I will offer you a phone discussion because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
Additional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. The average JA additional call price is 18.00 I charge only 5.00
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.
I am available now. We will speak in detail about what to do, and how to do it.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
One exception is if you got remarried prior at age 60. Then you cannot.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou2.html
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
The above link is an explanation from SS regarding widows benefits.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
If you do not require further assistance PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.
If you have other questions please ask now or later and I'll be happy to respond. I’ll be notified (even if I leave).
Even after you rate my response we can continue to chat here at no extra cost to you.
As I strive for quality vs. quantity, I find I can only handle a limited number of questions at a single time.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
A visit to a local SS office with your ID, a marriage and divorce certificate should resolve the issue.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Please rate my response in order that I can close this question out.
It will cost you nothing extra to do so and will help me greatly.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Please rate me with an OK (at least). It costs you nothing extra and that is how I get paid.