PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

Can a second wife receive benefits if the first wife is still

Customer Question

Can a second wife receive benefits if the first wife is still alive and has remarried.the first marriage was for 20 years and the second one for 28 years. Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist. The first wife remarrying takes her off the earnings record of her exhusband. You can also claim for spousal benefits if you otherwise qualify. Since your husband was married for 48 years, he has reached full retirement age, which is one of the requirements. I assume you are still married. In order for you to claim spousal benefits, your husband has to file for his benefits, and suspend. That allows you to claim spousal benefits of up to 50% of his benefit. You have to be at least 62 to apply. If you meet those requirements, you should qualify. To make sure, the following SSA web page lists out the how-tos: http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html#a0=1 Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Please advise if you need anything else.