ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I receive ss through my ex-husband. I am a retired federal

Customer Question

I receive ss through my ex-husband. I am a retired federal employee, subject to the windfall exclusion (I think). On the death of my ex-husband, how will my benefits change, or will they change....and how does the windfall problem affect me in this case. I did have forty quarters of non-federal employment which made me eligible for social security, but prior to my federal employment that started in the early 70's, so my benefits on my own record are pretty miniscule. It is very confusing!! Please clarify if possible.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
The bot***** *****ne is that the provision will remain but your amount will increase significantly as the "eligible portion" will be double.
I'll offer you a telephone conversation. The average charge is 18.00 but I charge 5.00 We will speak as long as necessary till you are satisfied. You may also benefit from other things learned in the conversation.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
At the death or your husband your SS benefits will not decrease. They will increase somewhat.
It is a complicated calculation caused by legislation passed in 1983 by Congress called the windfall provision.
I will offer you a call again. All you nee do is accept and I will explain it through a telephone conversation.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I will be online and will be notified when you respond via here or you accept the telephone offer.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Please rate my response in order that I can close this question out.
It will cost you nothing extra to do so and will help me greatly.
Thank you so very much in advance.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Please rate me with an OK (at least). It costs you nothing extra and that is how I get paid.