LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am currently collecting Social Security benefits through

Customer Question

I am currently collecting Social Security benefits through Railroad Retirement from my husband from whom I am separated.
My first husband and I were married over ten years. Am I able to collect from his Social Security? Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
While you are eligible to make an ex-spouse social security benefit claim on a past spouse once you divorce your present husband, because you are also receiving the railroad social security pension, those social security benefits would be decreased by about 1/3 because of the railroad pension.
Until you are divorced from your present husband however, you are not eligible to make an ex-spouse social security benefit claim. I am sorry.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
This seems like a very serious situation for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Thanks in advance,
Doug