LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a Canadian citizen who work in the USA in the 1980's.

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen who work in the USA in the 1980's. I am turning 60 aND wish to apply for Canada pension plan. I need my social security number which I have not used in almost 30 years. How do I get this number***@******.***
.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Social security is extremely difficult to get through to on the phone and it is not uncommon to wait for hours to reach a live person---specifically if you are outside the US. However, in some instances that may be your only choice, or to write to them and await a written response to your query. Here is a link to the list of Social Security offices that service Canada, along with their addresses and phone numbers. You will need to deal with the appropriate office to get your number if none of the suggestions below work for you.
http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/canada.htm
Only the social security administration has access to your social security records. However, there are many places that you have to have used your social security number.
1. Look on your last year's tax return--state or federal and it will be there.
2. Contact your bank because every bank account you have has your social security number attached to it.
3. Every credit card you have had an application and that application needed your social security card so that you could apply for credit.
4. If you rent an apartment or home, chances are good that you provided a written document to the landlord before you rented with your social security number so that they could run a credit check on you.
5. Colleges require that you provide your social security number, and they would have that information on file.
6. Any employer that you have worked for in since 1936 would have a record of your social security number.
7 Finally, even the military can provide you with a number if you can provide basic information about the service member which is retrievable from his birth certificate, and even his death certificate.
I am certain that one of these methods will work for you to recover your social security number. After you retrieve it, be sure to order a replacement social security card as well. Here is a link from which you can get the application to order your replacement card:
http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug