ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I have worked in Australia and UK. Can I claim social security

Customer Question

I have worked in Australia and UK. Can I claim social security benefits using the totalization agreements with each country? I have also worked in the US and paid social security taxes for 9 years. I am a US citizen.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Unfortunately the answer is no. In order to receive SS in the US you must have worked 40 quarters (10 years). They do not have to be consecutive however. From what you say you have earned 36 quarters. If you worked in the US 4 more quarters (1 more year) you would then be eligible for US SS.
What also makes it worse (sharing bad news) is that sometimes people get so angry they react emotionally and rate my service as bad.
The reality is that the answer to your question is very straightforward.
I wish I was able to supply a different answer, one along the lines you were probably hoping for but the facts are the facts.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I will offer you a call to discuss this because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
Additional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. This is the minimum JA allows for additional services ($5-$500).
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.