Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My mother has worked numerous jobs. is now 74. she has never

Customer Question

my mother has worked numerous jobs. is now 74. she has never collected social security. she is now living with me and i help her the best i can finanacially, but im wondering if she is entilted to some money from when she was working.?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
If your mother worked and paid social security taxes on that income (which is typically handled by employer in payroll witholdings) and that was at least 10 years of work (even if part time), then she will likely have a benefit on her own record. She can find out, with your help, by going to www.ssa.gov/myaccount and creating a passworded account after which she can down load her annual social security earnings statement - this will tell you what years the SSA shows income and it will also tell her if she is eligible for retirement benefits on that record. If she is eligible on her own record, she can likely apply at ssa.gov - click on Benefits button. She also needs to make sure she signed up for Medicare! Delays can cause a serious increase in premiums, via a penalty for signing up late.
Also, if she was married in the past, she could be eligible for spousal, divorced spousal, or survivor benefits, depending on what has transpired. If you would like more info on those, I will add an optional "additional services" button for you to use, entirely optional.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!