dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I retired from Austin ISD in December 2014, and paid SSI in

Customer Question

I retired from Austin ISD in December 2014, and paid SSI in addition TRS for the 3 years I work for the company. This was the position I held when I retired. During my teaching years I taught for the Department of Defense school System in Spain, where I paid SS the programs, I also worked for a private school in Columbus, MS, and paid social security. In my earlier years prior to attending college, I worked for Southland Life Insurance, The US Govt. as a GS3, and a teaching assistant for a California Elementary School where I paid SS at all locations.
I was aware that I would loose a large portion of my my earned SS benefit due to having TRS, however, I couldn't have met my stipulated credits to qualify for SS IF I hadn't worked in private schools and for the government to meet the criteria.
I tried calling the Social Security Office and was told that I would not qualify for any SS benefit. I thought there were rules about having earned some benefit (even taking the
Windfall rule into effect) IF YOU NEEDED THOSE YEARS IN WHICH YOU WERE WORKING IN YOUR CHOSEN FIELD AND PAYING INCOME TAX WHEN YOU RETIRED, IT APPEARED TO OFF-SET THE WINDFALL PROVISON.
Please let me know from this brief discription, if you think it would be possible to make a case for at least some percentage of the problem.
Best Regards,
Connie XXXXXXXX
Category: Social Security