ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My son had duchunne Muscular dystropy and I was his total care

Customer Question

my son had duchunne Muscular dystropy and I was his total care giver from 1967 to 1975 can I get compensated for this? My ss is so slim and I did work after he passed. Also if I have my handicapped sister live with me can I get compensated for that/
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The sad answer is no.
I disagree and on a personal level believe you absolutely deserve to get paid. However SS will not do that. The same is the answer about your sister.
Last week I had an 87 year old woman who should have started collecting her spousal benefit 21 years ago. SS agreed she was entitled but they will not do it retroactive (252,000). They are a tough agency.
What also makes it worse (sharing bad news) is that sometimes people get so angry they react emotionally and rate my service as bad.
The reality is that the answer to your question is very straightforward.
I wish I was able to supply a different answer, one along the lines you were probably hoping for but the facts are the facts.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
If you do not require further assistance PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.
If you have other questions please ask now or later and I'll be happy to respond. I’ll be notified (even if I leave).
Even after you rate my response we can continue to chat here at no extra cost to you.
As I strive for quality vs. quantity, I find I can only handle a limited number of questions at a single time.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Your sister should also be on SSI (supplemental income as well as disability)