How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ShawnA Your Own Question
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2884
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
ShawnA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently receiving SSDI benefits. I started receiving

Customer Question

I am currently receiving SSDI benefits. I started receiving benefits at age 30, and I am now 49. My doctor has told me that she believes my disability began at age 19. I have tried to receive back benefits as a disabled child of my late father's social security, which is more money per month. I sent in the documents as requested, but never heard back. When I called to follow up, I was told that nothing was done. What recourse do I have? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Unfortunately SS does not "pay retroactively". They will take the position that you should have filed at age 19. On a personal level I feel their attitude is stupid.
I had an 87 year old woman who was entitled to spousal benefits (about 1,000 a month) at age 66 when her spouse retired. She SHOULD have been entitled to 252,000 retroactively. SS said : "We agree we would have paid her because she was entitled to this money but it was up to her to start collecting 21 years ago".
I am sorry that you are in this situation. I will offer you a call to discuss this. All you have to do is accept the offer.
What also makes it worse (sharing bad news) is that sometimes people get so angry they react emotionally and rate my service as bad.
The reality is that the answer to your question is very straightforward.
I wish I was able to supply a different answer, one along the lines you were probably hoping for but the facts are the facts.

Related Social Security Questions