ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I am currently on SSDI and have been since 2005. My wife was

Customer Question

I am currently on SSDI and have been since 2005. My wife was born in April 1954 and I was born in October 1954. My wife paid very little into the SS system and was on SSI when I met her. She lost that when we married in 2000. I have paid into the system for over 35 years. My wife would like to retire using my work record at age 62 so that she will become eligible for Medicare by the time she turns 65. Can she retire at 62 based on my work record since we have been married for more than 10 years? I have tried to research this myself but each time I end up more confused than when I began. So far it looks like it will be 1 of 2 ways. First option could be that she can retire using my work record at age 62 but with a reduced benefit. Second option she can't retire using my work record until she is age 66 and 7 months. Which option is the correct one? Thank you for any insight you can provide. My email address is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and her email is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX in case you need further information. Thank you, ***** ***** Michael XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX XXX XXXX ( home phone both ) XXX XXX XXXX ( cell phone both ) .
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
The answer to your fist questions is in order for her to do that YOU must be collecting SS retirement. AS you are not she is not eleigible yet.
Even at FRA (full retirement age) she can't collect until you are collecting SS retirement . At that point if you are collecting, yes she can get 1/2 of your amount (reduced by the % because she is 62).
In some cases a 500 amount can be reduced to 300.
I'll offer you a call to discuss all your options as every situation is unique. All you have to do is accept the offer and then I can share my telephone number in a non public viewed box. We will talk as long as is necessary. The offer is just 5.