LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband passed away 3.5 years ago and I receive SS benefits

Customer Question

My husband passed away 3.5 years ago and I receive SS benefits as a caregiver for my 9 year old son. He also receives SS benefits as a survivor. I want to know if I make more than the income limit for 2015 and my benefit decreases, does my sons benefit increase?
Also, I know my caregiver benefit will end when he is 16 but does his continue to 18?
Thanks in Advance
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Your income plays no part in the benefit that your son is entitled to based on the death of his father. His benefit will remain the same regardless of the income you earn.
His benefit will continue to age 18, or until up to age 19 and 2 months if he is still in high school.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug