How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37077
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents are currently us citizens whom have suffered

Customer Question

Hello. My parents are currently us citizens whom have suffered their business closing down two years ago. Their home was in foreclosure for some time and just recently got foreclosed. I have tried to help in every way I can but am desperately struggling myself and unable to further support them. My father turned 64 this April and my mother is currently 62. I believe my father's estimated retirement benefits is somewhere around 700 and my mother being a dependent was told she would receive about 200. Are there any other benefits that they can collect from social security like social security supplemental income or disability? They need to move out soon but cannot afford to. Please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your parents' situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Based on the minimal amount of social security benefits that they are presently eligible for, if they did take the benefits now, if either of them are legally disabled they would also qualify for SSI---because of their low income.
Social Security's definition of disability is as follows:
"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
• You cannot do work that you did before;
• Social Security decides that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
If neither of them is disabled, then aside from the possibility of qualifying for SNAP (food stamps) and a section 8 housing allowance, there would be no other benefits available to them at this point in time.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,