Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can a mother be sued years of social security on the

Customer Question

Can a mother be sued for back years of social security on the premise of mishandling the money. The son is now 19 and not attending school.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
A mother can be sued, as can anybody, if they breach a duty, including caring for a child's money - this can be done civilly in state court. In addition, and separately, a mother (or anyone who was the representative payee of a child benficiary) can be reported to the SSA if she has improperly spent the child's benefits contrary to the SSA rules. The SSA can report her has having an overpayment and withhold her OWN future benefits if she can't otherwise pay back the money. It can also seek to press charges criminally, if fraud appears.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!