Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My sister collets social security and her son. Her

Customer Question

My sister collets social security for her and her son. Her son will be graduating high school this August when he turns 18. She received a letter from social security stating that her son will no longer be eligible when he graduates. He has applied to college and will be attending in the fall. Is he or is he not eligible to receive social security anymore.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
"My sister collets social security for her and her son. Her son will be graduating high school this August when he turns 18. She received a letter from social security stating that her son will no longer be eligible when he graduates. ------ Yes, that is true.
He has applied to college and will be attending in the fall. Is he or is he not eligible to receive social security anymore.----- No, only minors or 18 year olds STILL in high school are considered legal dependents eligible for dependent benefits. Once they are adults, capable of working full time, and being self sufficient, they are no longer eligible for child's dependent benefits. College is not considered the basic education that high school is.
Note that if he were disabled (legally as per SS definition of same) and determined to be such before age 22, he could continue with the benefits potentially forever. Those are called "DAC" benefits: Disabled Adult Child benefits.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!