ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I am 66 1/2 and started taking my Social security last September.

Customer Question

I am 66 1/2 and started taking my Social security last September. My husband just turned 66 in Feb. of this year and asked fr his benefits and then suspended them. Then I went in to get spousal benefits but instead of stopping mine and getting half of his, they just gave me a percentage of his on top of mine. If I go in and stop mine they say I will ave to pay back everything they have payed me so far, then I reapply for half of his. Then will they pay me from back t when I started? And then mine will continue to grow till I am 70?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I would like to discuss this via a phone call to make sure I have all the facts.
Please let me know and I'll send you an offer. It's a mere 5 dollars
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I disagree. You should be able to suspend yours and collect 1/2 of his (spousal benefits).
Please let me know if you understand. I still think a call would help. I believe returning to a local office and asking for a supervisor will help get this resolved.
Please let me know you understand. Thanks.