Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband has just died. Since I married him 15 years ago

Customer Question

My husband has just died. Since I married him 15 years ago I have been receiving my former husband's benefit because it was the larger amount. If I now benefit more from my second husband's benefit, how do I make the change?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.
I am so very sorry for your loss.
With regard to your post:
"My husband has just died. Since I married him 15 years ago I have been receiving my former husband's benefit because it was the larger amount. If I now benefit more from my second husband's benefit, how do I make the change? ------ You will want to go to your local SSA office and inquire of applying for a SURVIVOR benefit based on newly passed current spouse. You can bring your own photo ID, your birth certificate, your current marriage certificate, and your spouses death certificate. SSA will only switch you if if financially advantageous to you.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.
Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.
Your online legal resource!