ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

Can i take a spousal benefit at age 62 (my husband is 66)?

Customer Question

Can i take a spousal benefit at age 62 (my husband is 66)? And will i still be able to collect my own full benefit when I reach age 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
In order for you to collect on a spousal benefit your spouse must be collecting Social Security. If he is not collecting Social Security then you will not be able to collect the spousal benefit.
If he starts or is already collecting Social Security and yes you are entitled to collect the spousal benefit.spousal benefit is equal to one half of the benefit he receives.
This in no way affects your Social Security amount when and if you decide to claim Social Security based on your earnings
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
In the event your husband passes prior to you you would then be entitled to collect the higher of either your Social Security for the full amount that he wascollecting, but not both.
I have offered you a call to explain the procedures required by Social Security and to answer any other questions you mighthave
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
If you have other questions please ask now or later and I'll be happy to respond. I’ll be notified (even if I leave).
If not PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.
Even after you rate my response we can continue to chat here at no extra cost to you.
As I strive for quality vs. quantity, I find I can only handle a limited number of questions at a single time.