PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My son died on 5/19/15. His wife works and they have an adopted

Customer Question

My son died on 5/19/15. His wife works and they have an adopted 11 yr. old boy at home. Will he get social security support until he is 18 yrs. old?
Also, he had another son by someone other than his wife. The boy is a U.S. citizen. Can he also claim social security support based on his father's social security? DNA will determine if my son was his father. What would his mother have to do to get the social security support for this son?
Thank you
Dolores Medina ***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I'mCustomer and will be helping you today.
His widow will be eligible for survivor benefits, and his adopted son will also be eligible until age 18.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf is a link to the SSA pamphlet that introduces the subject.
Biological children qualify for benefits as well. That child's mom will need to apply for the benefit, and the same pamphlet covers the materials needed, like birth certificate and proof of parentage (the DNA). The same pamphlet covers how to start the application process.
Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer