ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

MY HUSBAND WAS ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY LEAST 7

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND WAS ON SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY FOR AT LEAST 7 OR 8 YEARS BEFORE HIS PASSING AND WHEN I CALLED ABOUT WIDOW BENEFITS I WAS TOLD I WAS TO YOUNG TO RECEIVE HIS BENEFIT BECAUSE I WAS ONLY 49 YEARS OLD THAT I HAD TO WAIT TILL I TURNED 55 WHICH I DID ON MAY 19TH OF THIS YEAR WHAT AND WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
What also makes it worse (sharing bad news) is that sometimes people get so angry they react emotionally and rate my service as bad.
The reality is that the answer to your question is very straightforward.
I wish I was able to supply a different answer, one along the lines you were probably hoping for but the facts are the facts.
IF you are disabled, all you need do is visit a local ss office (bring your marriage certificate and his death certificate to be on the safe side).
•Your widow or widower can receive:
◦ reduced benefits as early as age 60 or full benefits at full retirement age or older.
◦benefits as early as age 50 if he or she is disabled AND their disability started before or within seven years of your death.
The link bellows explains that you ARE entitled to collect if disabled.
Otherwise you need to be age 60.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/survivors/onyourown2.html
I will offer you a call to explain in detail so you know EXACTLY what you are entitled to.
If you have kids they may be entitled.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
If you have other questions please ask now or later and I'll be happy to respond. I’ll be notified (even if I leave).
If not PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.
Even after you rate my response we can continue to chat here at no extra cost to you.
As I strive for quality vs. quantity, I find I can only handle a limited number of questions at a single time.