ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

SS Retirees received an additional benefit children

Customer Question

SS Retirees received an additional benefit for minor children adopted or natural. Is that effective during the temporary custody period prior to final adoption? Many states like CA have a 6 month waiting period where the adoptive parent has custody and full finanacial responsibility priro to final adoption proceedings.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. What also makes it worse (sharing bad news) is that sometimes people get so angry they react emotionally and rate my service as bad
The reality is that the answer to your question is very straightforward.
I wish I was able to supply a different answer, one along the lines you were probably hoping for but the facts are the facts.
Unfortunately it starts from her 1 month AFTER the formal adoption has been approved.
In my opinion I agree and they should go retroactive but they refuse to!!! THREY make the rules (as stupid as they and their rules are).