ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

Can I draw divorced survivor benefits from my ex-husband when I turn 60. I am 59 now, rem

Customer Question

Can I draw divorced survivor benefits from my ex-husband when I turn 60. I am 59 now, remarried at age 55 but we are going to going to get a divorce this year. Quite a few articles that I have read say that if the subsequent marriage ends in divorce, I can claim on my deceased ex-husband's record. We were married for 27-1/2 yrs.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
There are some conditions but yes.
He must be collecting.
You must be 62 (unless he dies before you reach 60)
ETC. A telephone call will help because there are details you may not have shared that will help you. I'll send an offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got thru to someone at the Social Security office. She answered my question in detail. I AM eligible to claim divorced survivor's benefits on my deceased ex-husband's account when I turn 60! (as long as I am not presently married at the time I apply. I do not have to wait until I am 62 as you said. My question to you included all the facts and I got a very generic answer. I was forced to sign up for a free trial before I could get a complete, correct answer. I chose to back out of the whole deal. I don't mind paying the $5 deposit, but I do believe that I am entitled to a refund for the 2nd charge to my credit card. If it is not refunded, I will contest it through my bank. I am anticipating an answer from you regarding the extra charges at my email adress: ***@******.***
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe that you ever responded to me nor have you given me a rating .
I never said 62 I said age 60 (see above). If you are disabled the age is lower but you never responded to me nor did you accept my offer to call.
Everything I said was correct.
You answer was specific to the questions you asked. You were offered a call to personalize it. A mere 5.00 (which you never accepted) for as long as was necessary.
Nothing I said was incorrect.