dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Can I enter into a Court Order to voluntarily pay my ex-wife

Customer Question

Can I enter into a Court Order to voluntarily pay my ex-wife a portion of my disability benefits? If so, will this be paid directly to her from SS. I understand that this could not happen involuntarily.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 37 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
Unfortunately not. This is because the SSA is a federal program and any agreement entered into between you and your wife would fall under the state law where you were divorced. And federal law does not follow or enforce state divorce laws. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.
I WISH YOU WELL. FOR CUSTOMER QUALITY CONTROL, PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO RATE MY ANSWER BY CLICKING THREE OR MORE STARS OR SMILES. ANSWERS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED OR IMPLIED.