ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

My wife age 64 was receiving Social Security because of her

Customer Question

My wife age 64 was receiving Social Security because of her Cancer Disability, she passed away May 25, 2015. I am told because I work (spouse, age 65) I can not receive any survivor benefit except a one time $255.
If I stop working would I be able to receive her Social Security?
Should I wait until November when I turn 66 and retire to apply for her Social Security?
Should I just take the $255?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 37 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
The $255 is a one time SS death benefit that all survivors are entitled to. So taking that money does not affect any other benefits you are entitled to.
Top maximize your benefit, you should apply at age 66. that way, if you continue to work, it will not reduce your SS benefits. Note, taking benefits before 66 are reduced if you are still working.
I WISH YOU WELL. FOR CUSTOMER QUALITY CONTROL, PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO RATE MY ANSWER BY CLICKING THREE OR MORE STARS OR SMILES. ANSWERS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED OR IMPLIED.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Different expert here. The above expert is correct.
You Could get her SS but I am betting yours is more. You can only get one or the other (the highest.
Do not rate my answer. Please rate the above expert. I just wanted top add what I did.