ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I've been on Social Security Disability long while

Customer Question

Hi, I've been on Social Security Disability for a long while now with a variety of health issues, and my question is this, that can one try to find a job to try to make ends meet and still be qualified for Social Security Disability Benefits? I have some upcoming surgeries, although that is only scratching the surface of my health conditions, but I'm am coming up way short of paying my bills, now that my ex wife divorced me and I am way short on my merger income every month, in which I thought I'd make way more, considering I have starting working a fulltime job ever since I was 13 years old. I also served in the military for nearly 10 years with an honorable discharge and I receive no benefits from them either. That really doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Sincerely, Desperate
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
Absolutely you CAN work while on SS Disability.
There is ONLY one rule...
Generally, you can't start doing "substantial gainful activity" (SGA) and continue to receive disability benefits. In a nutshell, SGA means you are working and making more than $1,090 per month (or $1,820 if you're blind). There are exceptions to this rule, however. For SSDI recipients, there is a trial work period during which you can make more than the SGA amount without losing your benefits.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
FYI - I'm sorry to hear about what's going on. Especially since you served in the military. I agree you should be better taken care of. I hope my response helps. Please let me know I can offer a phone call if you would like.